10 September, 2011

Moscow to Kathmandu updating... (SORRY!)

Maybe because it's raining and maybe because I got lost so bad and then drenched by the rain on my way back, I don't like Moscow. The only look I had has really been from the back of a taxi and I wasn't going to take photos of the Kremlin and Red Square standing in the rain or from inside the car (besides the windows were wet and fogged) so no pictures for you, sorry. I'm also either suffering the effects of pollution or the rain, with a cough and a cold developing. Vodka would probably help... or any alcohol really... But no! No vodka in Moscow for me!

The first taste of the Russian drinkers I had on the plane over here. Nice British Airways flight, everyone so proper, so British, so 'just a drop of milk in my tea please', well except the Russian lady I was sitting next to. She had 4 shiny gold teeth, right at the front, and so many gold rings I didn't think she'd be able to move her hands. She disliked being buckled in the seat and kept unbuckling with a flourish and getting up to stand in the aisle whenever she felt like it - take off, landing (that was fun for the British flight staff - none of them spoke Russian). She also kept asking for drinks (using that well known gesture of downing a shot glass) and bless them they kept bringing her water. Until the food service and drinks started and this is where you could tell the wolves from the sheep or the Russians from the Brits... (Let me remind you that the flight was a morning one, 8am, breakfast was served...) The gold tooth lady took 3 little whiskey bottles and said no to the coke the offered to water them down with. The man in front, Russian as well, asked for 2 and then buzzed the flight attendants twice for more, until the told him 'no more'. Then the gold tooth lady (GTL) buzzed as well and when the flight attendant said 'niet!' the GTL asked for a big whiskey and kept gesturing until they understood she wanted to buy it duty free. Well she got her litre of whiskey bought with US dollars the GTL rolled up and stashed in her light silvery-blue leather jacket (of course!). When the staff left her, she unbuckled her seat belt, opened the bottle, took a swig and smiled a golden smile at me!

It is also so expensive here! I'm glad I'm not paying my way here. It is the city of billionaires, certainly, and these billionaires are also a lot younger than American ones I have heard (19 years younger on average). There are shiny and glittery things everywhere, not always tasteful, but they do shine, like golden teeth!!


I tried to find my Russian barbie doll (I started a collection of them in India last time) and I found her - Verushka - but for 435 dollars AU, she's staying in Russia!! But how cool does she look!!
I don't know who the guy is, but he was expensive too...

I also found out that I can still remember some Russian (but cannot speak it at all). I understood the first thing when the taxi driver that was waiting to pick me up at the airport described me to his fellow waiting taxi drivers (I passed). I understood the hotel staff didn't care whether they put me in a smoking or non smoking room, it's all the same anyway (it isn't..). Then later when I went to collect my passport after registration, the hotel receptionist asked me what language they speak in Australia? 'Australian' I answered. There!

8 comments:

  1. no widzisz, a ja myślałam, że to Amerykanie są największymi ignorantami :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oye! quando vienes a barcelona,ha>? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. he he Hola!
    Spanish = LOUD, NO?! :-P
    It never works out. I tried last time but couldn't come. And I thought I'm so blacklisted with you that even if I showed up you'd just hide behind the cameras and take pics till I snap... ;-)
    Miss you though! XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. just book a flight, as simple as that:)
    we'll be seeing Olivka,she's coming for a couple of days (19-23.10), they're staing in a hostel, you could squat our place:) 26th Oct a gang from PL is coming to visit us, 27th we're making an exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A public discussion here Mr M (I know it's you, you're the argumentative one ...) ;-)
    Oli is 2 hr away from your noisy city, I'm a bit further... But hey you're always welcome to visit me! Maybe an exhibition in Oz? Just book a flight... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. maybe an exhibition in Oz>?
    well, why not.
    do you cover travelling expenses>? (or know any organization that does..>?)
    do we need visa>?
    hasta pronto, Reina:*

    ReplyDelete
  7. byłoby ciekawie gdybyśmy wszyscy spotkali się w Barcelonie, nie ma jak przeciskanie sie w tłumie po hałasliwych hiszpańskich ulicach ;-)

    I'm lovin'it ;-)
    PS. w ubiegłym tygodniu doszła nostalgiczna kartka z Rosji, Pola mówi: "Danke" (jedyne słowo jakie zna po niemiecku angielsku i polsku ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. no, but seriously:)

    ReplyDelete