07 March, 2011

Hong Kong (almost China...)

[I was being arty with my phone camera - view from the window]

My trip to Hong Kong started still in Colombo when Helga and I were trying to get seats next to each other on the flight between SL and HK. Through my eagerness, enthusiasm and effort we managed to be the first in line to check-in, trying to ensure that we got these seats (across the aisle from each other). Well that idiot on counter 26 put me in my aisle seat and Helga in the middle seat, in the row ahead of me... After he did that and handed us our tickets, he said he couldn't change it and we would have to change on the plane. I think my anti-China venom molecules were high already and I was ready for a battle, but Helga insisted she didn't mind (more like didn't want to see me get any more angry) and so we agreed to disagree and sit wherever fate took us.
Luckily on the plane we managed to get better seats in the front row with extra leg room (H is tall) and even when the guy that was sitting in Helga's seat arrived (very late!) - he was told to sit elsewhere.
Then on the second leg of that trip (stopover in Bangkok) I got a hell of a reminder of why I promised myself never to go back to China (HK doesn't really count - except as a mild reminder...). On the seat next to me, sat an old man who first started to bring up and then chew his phlegm (if you've been to China you know what I'm talking about!) and then he started to blow his nose on the little airplane pillow, which he then put on the arm rest between us -snot down so he contaminated the arm rest... My blood pressure went through the roof and I woke up the man sitting in the row in front of me (and beside Helga) and demanded he swaps seats with me. He did.
Now, I've been contemplating going back to China to help out a colleague - so she'd have a nice easy introduction to China from someone who knows/loathes it well.
Well, after this short reminder (yeah just the flight), there is no way in hell I am going back to that country. Never will be too soon!!

Landed in HK in foul anti-China mood. Helga was quiet and didn't encourage or discourage my ravings - just nodded absently occasionally - bless her - best reaction given the circumstances! Then in the hotel they put me in a room next to a baby (crying/noisy baby) who really grated on my shattered nerves. I know all the people with children will judge me regarding this, but you all know I'm not a baby person. I changed rooms when 5 minutes after settling in to my new room, a drill or a pneumatic hammer started next door! After another phone call and a conversation with manger, in which i sounded like I was crying and laughing together and I was asking for the 'crying baby' room back, all the noises stopped and I was assured they would stay quiet - that day (I made sure I didn't order anything from room service since hotel staff might have been a bit angry with me...). After a bit of a rest I felt a little bit better, but the thought of myself being in what officially could be counted as China, made my skin crawl. I think most of you are well aware of China's and mine strained relationship - or the lack of any positive feelings in that direction. Well, it hasn't changed at all. Hearing the language, seeing the streets, any minor interaction with the locals, still brings up the same emotions in me - it must be some form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (and Helga will attest to it)!

Hong Kong is different and not near as Chinese (the mainlanders still need a visa and the Westerners don't for HK), it still is China, a bit more civilised but there is the same lack of culture and extreme consumerism that has replaced it (only my personal opinion - some people love it). And HK is getting more Chinese, even in the short time I've been away!

But as you are all well aware of my thoughts on the subject - I'm sure I haven't spared anyone I'll refrain from any more rantings and ravings...
Instead I've included some short videos of nice HK (non-Chinese! ;-) ):
- of what it's like walking in HK (on a fairly quiet morning);

- of me trying to be a crazy person on HK longest escalator - it's also a great method for gaining some personal space in a very crowded city!

- and then of Helga's and mine boat trip in the beautiful Victoria Harbour. That is one place I really like in HK - except when the ferry rocks and I think we'll tip over and drown!
BTW I'd like to thank Helga for this trip. We managed very well living in such close proximity, constantly in each other's company, for such a long time. And I even liked Hong Kong for a day on that mad shopping spree we went on. We literally shopped till I dropped - yes, I must admit, I died first while Helga still ran around some shops and bought gifts AND she managed to go to mainland China to shop on the following day!!

OK and the final goodbye I recorded in Hong Kong, mentioning all of the themes from the trip. Yes, CRICKET!!
(I'm typing this from Sydney airport since we missed our Canberra flight!)

See you all next trip in less than a month's time!


Oh yeah I might add a couple of small posts if I remember something...
And I can finally start answering emails!

3 comments:

  1. zapomniałam napisać kartki doszły w piątek !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ten "boski facet" na jednej z nich rzeczywiście jest nie dla mnie hehehhe

    ReplyDelete
  2. All is good then, thank you for letting me know you got the postcards, unlike some...
    [stern look at some people] ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does mentioning I got it on the bus keep me in the good books?? :D

    ReplyDelete