03 March, 2011

Sri Lankan hotels

The title is such since only today on my 3rd day was I able to leave the hotel. Up to know either work, my stomach or just plain old tiredness have kept me inside the hotel - so apart from the airport-hotel ride, I didn't see much.

First of all when leaving India, some god (I'm certain it was Ganesh!) decided to smile upon me and transformed my crappy Kingfisher mosquito infested flight into a First Class Kingfisher mosquito infested flight. Plus I came into Sri Lanka with some minor food poisoning (but lets not jump ahead of time). Yes I got upgraded and since this was an international flight, there actually was a 1st class section (oh and let me just say that Helga who flew later that day with (Delayed) Jet Airways - was the only one out of her group of people not upgraded and had to play 'Nurse Helga' two a couple of geriatric quality Indians. I met a colleague from another institution in the queue waiting for check-in and some guy came up to us, took our passports and itineraries and came back with first class tickets! So we were very happy. Especially since our tickets were done ahead of a few other people waiting in the queue in front - and they didn't get upgraded. Probably because they were French (no cricket team!).

Pity the flight lasted 55min and we were early! Damn - my first non-delayed flight in India, leaving! and Kingfisher!!

Arriving in Sri Lanka was OK though as some of you know, I didn't manage to get a Business Visa as I ran out of time. No worries I was going to pretend to be a tourist... Except of course that I was staying at the same hotel as everyone else and was Australian, so first thing the border guy says is - "Are you here for your job attending this exhibition, which starts tomorrow at 9 at Hotel X?"
I was so stunned I didn't say anything and then he asked - "Where is your Business Visa"?
I didn't think I needed one - I mumble...
"I'm putting a note here that you were advised to get a business visa. Make sure you get one next time if you want to be able to enter Sri Lanka". Arrogant F£&k! Why are border control people (only the ones at the passport control counters, MM!) such stereotypical bureaucrats?!
What if I'm really coming for a holiday next time?!


But I got in and saw Sri Lanka via my car ride to the hotel...
Pardon my IGNORANCE (it was a major lack of knowledge hence the capitals) but I thought Sri Lanka is to India, what NZ is to OZ. An extended state really, no idea why they want to be a different country!
Was I wrong?! It is completely different!! Huge difference!! Different world almost!
First thing I noticed was how clean it was. I assumed at first it was because of the cricket (I don't know why or how). Then as I was looking at the city from the car it just continued being clean and nice. And the people were smiley and it was hot. It really was what I imagined those hippie colonies of India - Goa and Kerala - to be (though they are like the rest of India - very dirty chaos). A tropical paradise holiday destination for those who like the heat. I could imagine coming here in the middle of their winter for a tea tasting/spas/elephant riding holiday (actually scrap the elephants, they probably smell as much as camels do!) It all appears safe, clean and fairly cheap but the culture is different enough to make it exotic. Now this impression was made on my trip to the hotel in the apparently least attractive of all Sri Lanka city of Colombo.

[To be continued with photos... from Hong Kong!!]

No comments:

Post a Comment