20 February, 2011

Gods in Mumbai?

I arrived in Mumbai early morning - 1:30am to be exact, rather than the supposed 10pm the previous night. How good is that - every transport option so far has been delayed...
It must be a lesson for me after going on about punctuality to those poor Polish people I used to teach - some evil karma joke from a Hindu god, I bet!
Talking about God and gambling...
I just wrote an email about god/religion to one of you and apologies for sharing my half-arsed philosophical discussions on an essentially 'travel' blog (but it's my blog...).
There are no gods.
I came to this conclusion last night between Mumbai airport and the hotel - being tired probably helped! (Also I had this idea reinforced again since for a while now, I've been a practising atheist). I was going past one of the many temples that are everywhere in the cities of India - some Hindu, some Christian and many mosques too - these places are really used in India, with incense, flowers and people praying at them, even at such late hour. And I looked at the povery around me, glimpses of it you must have seen in the videos I've posted, and wondered, how could these people belive? Obviously their gods aren't listening or maybe don't care? How could they allow those who give them so much - and I don't mean the incense or flowers, though that too, but all that belief, which surely must be the currency of faith - and get so little in return. Here I am, the non-believer, in luxury, health, happiness - however you measure that which matters - and the believers here are poor, dying of illnesses easily cured, maybe happy (but I don't buy that one can be happy lacking the basics)...

So I don't understand this belief in gods, obviously... But here's a picture of one - Ganesh god of happiness
Coincidence, luck and the dice make more sense. ;-)
Talking about gods… again…
I’m listening to the new RH album and almost cried/threw up/had shivers all over my body. It’s all so exciting – shiny new music – some of it sounds divine already some of it I’ll appreciate later and some of it will never get to me. But the joy of discovering it is thrilling. There are a lot of reversed sounds in this one, music playing backwards and the vocals are, as usual heavenly, as if an angel cried in anxiety at the end of the World. The entire feel of the album is very mellow and nostalgic, like saying a final goodbye. I’m thinking why this analogy came to my head? Must be stuff going on in my head on a higher level than my conscious self… Anyway, I wish I had a better sound than from the laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment