15 February, 2011

Local markets

My dear friend and business partner has given me many missions for the time I'm here in India. Today, while investigating the first, I had my first taste of the craziness that's a local market (for real locals).
Yesterday, I asked my driver to show me some real Delhi markets, in between my meetings, but he only showed me some tourist shops. So last night I gave him a bit of homework, before he got to drive me around today (I also gave him a gift of real North Queensland grown tea I brought as gifts for people here - don't start on me about taking tea to China, I know what I'm doing). I wanted to get some India craft items but without getting the nasty tourist versions and paying the nasty tourist prices for them, so I asked Mr Driver to ask his wife where she would shop for such handicraft gifts and to make sure there are no tourists there.
Today, after my meetings, he asked me if I was sure I still wanted to go...
I did and we went to this small market that had clothes, pots and other household products but also these 3-4 stalls which had exactly what I wanted. The mad bargaining started but because these were not touristy focused sellers, they didn't speak English so Mr Driver became Mr translator for a while (he got a good tip).
I'm sure I overpaid anyway and pretty sure the driver made some commission from the sellers for bringing me there, but hell, I'm happy, they're happy, driver's happy = win-win-win situation, how well can one do in 15 min? ;-)
And to top it all off, the 'no-lady-no-man' person (that's what Mr Driver called them) walked past and blessed everyone present (for a small fee, of course).
Soundrack for today: "No woman no cry" B. Marley - I don't like reggae (I really don't, I'm not listing another song) but for some reason the above mentioned 'no-lady-no-man' made me think of this song.

PS I know I'm not great at taking photos...
PS2 I've just had a comment - less writing and more photos - you celeb-mag junkie, this isn't Playboy! ;-P

4 comments:

  1. hahahha, I know that the first PS was addressed to me :):):)
    lovely fabrics, Lucky you Meine Liebe :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. capital M and L?? Lucky me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh pretty things.. did you buy me some - ID

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaah I just figured out who ID is... Bit slow here, hey get them yourself (unless of course you'll offer some luggage space on the way back?) Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete